Election season is coming to a close just as the carolers and Christmas trees are coming out. Fireworks are ablaze and people crowd the streets for good cheer. “Isn't it October?” you ask. Why yes it is. While Americans are searching for their Halloween costumes, the Christmas season is in full swing for Filipinos. The -ber months as it's called. Christmas music has been on the radio for over a month and yes, there are carolers. People come 'round to homes to sing until you pay them (to stop). Pay more, they'll be back again tomorrow! An annual festival just wrapped up in Dumaguete. Thousands filled the streets for live music and fireworks on top of events all week long. Filipinos sure know how to celebrate life. As for the election, today new barangay captains and councilors were voted for near and far. At least no America-style cutthroat TV ads, but good ole grassroots campaigning. Groups going around to homes and posters plastered upon fences and rocks.
I am getting a kick out of all this though, mostly due to my own bewilderment. I am used to the seasons dictating the time of year but I am caught in endless August. Atypical signs all around tell me the year is progressing but my body would like to say otherwise. It's nearly November and I am caught wondering when the leaves are going to change or the first freeze will beckon. I will adjust. Maybe if it doesn't start feeling like the usual holiday season I won't feel like I am missing out on traditions from home.
Another reinforcement for my internal seasonal clock confusion was due to the youth camp my cluster and I facilitated over the weekend. In Minnesota, camps are generally for the summer but in October Filipino kids can still be found playing basketball and swimming under waterfalls. This can be used to my advantage as there are no weather perils (besides a little rain) to dictate the camps' activities. Seventy youth 15-21 from LCP and us wannabe PC trekked to Valencia for our overnight camp. We stayed at a school on cement floors with the cool mountain air and peacefulness all around. We sang camp songs and took groups into the darkness for ghost stories and activities. After a sleepless night we packed up and headed to a park area with waterfalls. It was the perfect venue for games and relaxation. Some kids in the pool, others playing volleyball, and interludes of group games and songs led by us PCTs. Since the kids were older, they entertained themselves much of the time or just relaxed. At times I felt like a participant more so than a facilitator. At least I got my toes wet for future camps and trainings to come.
My time in Dumaguete is wearing thin. I feel really comfortable here and I'll need to acclimate to a new city again. My host family is unbeatable. They are so fun and caring. I'm sure the next will have much to offer, but this family will always have a place in my heart. I am close to earning the title Peace Corps Volunteer. All of us newly anointed PCVs will have our friendships spread over land and sea. In the text messaging capital of the world, we can still lean on each other. My world will rapidly change once again. I am excited to move on but intimated by the unknowns to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment