March is the time in the Philippines marked with increasing
temperatures and unbarring sun. High humidity lingers at night more than ever
and patience can wear thin. The streets clear of students as the school year
draws to a close. For Euphrasia, it was the first marking point for our CABRAD
program. A time to take a deep breath and reflect on the ups and downs of the
trial phase.
The last Friday in March, I attended the high school
graduation at one of our partner schools where for the past nine months we
implemented the CABRAD life skills program for in-school gang-involved youth. A
majority of our program members were formerly out-of-school (OSY) 16-21 year
old males returning to school to earn their high school diploma. Fifteen 60-90 minute life skills sessions were facilitated by Supreme Student Government
(SSG) mentors since August 2011. The sessions covered topics such as values
formation, self-esteem, team building, peer pressure, and goal setting. The Life
Skills manual I helped develop was not covered in its entirety during course of
the school year, but the activities that were conducted helped the boys think
more introspectively about their lives.
Much of the progress during the year came subtly, not necessarily from
the program content but the interactions than ensued and relationships
developed. Over time the separated tense room turned into intermixed CABRAD
member & SSG mentor groups working and laughing together on role plays,
drawings, or discussions. The members began to respect the SSG, Nestor, and
myself by showing more empathy and appreciation.
On graduation day, I stood upon the hot stage as a guest of honor, handing out
diplomas and awards to the 150+ graduating students. I patiently waited for my
turn to distribute certificates, a big part of Filipino culture, to the
graduating CABRAD & SSG mentors. As I mispronounced each of their names
into the microphone, loud roars and cheers came from peers, parents, and
community members.
That was the defining
moment. Nothing grand or surprising, but the simple act of recognition and acceptance.
Their glowing faces with held back smiles, trying to keep their “cool” but
ultimately displaying their elation for all to see. These boys aren’t headed to
college at the top of their class, but that wasn’t the point. They graduated. They
improved inter- and intra-personal skills. They are taking initiative in improving relationships and searching for work. They are being recognized positively rather than negatively in their
community. This was just the first mark of progress in overcoming poverty,
stigma, and self-doubt.
I was so proud of them. The moment came and went quickly,
only its impact really realized in time to reflect after the ceremony. Allowing myself for the first time to feel
more than content with work outputs. The guidance counselor took me aside and told me that the action of distributing certificates was an incredible moment for the members, as this was
the first honor or recognition most of the them had ever received in their school
careers.
Following the graduation I also distributed certificates to
the younger SSG mentors at a recognition ceremony. They were bursting with
excitement and smiles. After snapping a few photos, one of the mentors accompanied
me to the road to catch a tricycle, as night had already fallen. He showered me
with thanks for the certificate and bashfully asked if he will be allowed to
facilitate next year. The days of exhaustion, frustration, and complacency
flashed through my mind and I realized how much the mentors had grown as well. They
improved their preparation for sessions and confidence while facilitating. I enthusiastically
answered “Yes! Of course [you can facilitate next year].” We parted ways attacking
each other with thank-yous and ear-to-ear smiles. I held back tears as the
trike plodded down the pot-hole ridden road while thinking, its all been worth
it. Euphrasia, Nestor, and I had done something
for these youth and it ever-more encourages us to continue.
| SSG mentors assisting CABRAD members during a Life Skills session |
| Teambuilding activity |
| Making a plan for a role play |
| CABRAD member leaning on each other during a character building activity |
| 10 of the 13 facilitators and I on the last day of session for the year |
*Note: Sorry I have no photos from the graduation ceremony as I was a part of the activity. I will post photos later if I am able to get ahold or them from teachers or community members*
No comments:
Post a Comment