9.15.2010

ALS

On Sunday I was able to help my host sister Mai Mai in an annual “Fun Day” for the Dumaguete ALS (Alternative Learning System) students. The program offers informal education in various barangays throughout the city. Many youth and young adults enter the program because they work, fell behind in traditional school, or could not afford the tuition. It is a ten month program leading to the national exam . ALS is similar to a GED program in the US.

The day was full of fun as well as unearned privileges as an American guest at the festivities. The day started with a parade of about 100 youth representing the North, South, and West districts of the program. Alana, a volunteer in my cluster, and I were quickly rushed to the front of the parade as we were special guests. Once we arrived at the site, there was an opening program. Alana and I were trying to hide out from the sweltering sun under a tree until our sweaty selves were ushered on stage. We did not feel we earned any right to be on stage with the program director, assistant superintendent, and other hard working teachers. I appreciate the Filipino acts of kindness toward guests, but it was undeserved in our eyes. Due to a brown-out (no power) and issues with the generators, we were able to escape the stage.

Alana and I participated in the bag race and 'plant the rice' then observed the teams through other games as well. It was fun to talk with some of the kids and get to know what kind of work the teachers in the program do. In the afternoon I brought another volunteer, Blake, with me to the fun day. I thought we would be observing the Mr. and Ms. ALS pageant and the singing/dance contest. Much to our surprise, we were chosen as judges! Once again because we were guests impartial to the contestants and somehow experts on pageantry. We took the awkward moments in stride and also had a lot of laughs.

It's an adjustment to receive special privileges but it is a part of Filipino culture. Saying “no” is not an option, so I try to accept their graciousness as kindly as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment