9.10.2010

week 3

This week was filled with language integration and site visits galore. I feel as though I'm getting into the language groove a little more. On Wednesday my cluster went to the merkado (market) to use our shopping and bartering skills. Picture 100+ wooden tables scattered upon the dirt ground with a thatched roof overhead. There were exotic fruits and veg galore, along with fresh fish covered with mingling mosquitoes. I chatted with some very friendly folks who either spoke English or enjoyed my efforts toward speaking Cebuano. Unfortunately no bartering success, but I did come out of the experience with ingredients in hand for making guacamole. I felt I was finally catching onto the grammar and retaining the vocabulary. That is, until it came to speaking with residents in our barangay yesterday. I blanked. I couldn't ask simple questions without mixing up the conjugation and using the wrong pronouns (sadly). I felt defeated and discouraged. I need to work on my recall, not just visual recognition of words.

Over two afternoons we visited various residential and community based youth centers. They ranged from a beautiful non-profit faith-based center for girls to a rugged resource-strained government operated youth home. The social workers, house parents, and directors are all so passionate at these facilities but it is unfortunate some can offer other benefits due to financial stability. We started at the first center by eating an amazing myrenda (snack) of chips and bread made by the girls accompanied by basil tea. With out belly's full we moved on to another NGO, a residential center for indigent boys started by an retired American. I felt a connection to this center. It had some resources but a lot of program development could be done. Then we meandered further down the hill in Valencia to a youth home. The kids are placed there for 3 weeks to 6 months mostly for curfew violation, stealing, or Rugby(sniffing glue). Many of the kids had to sleep on floors and are not allowed to go outside, ever. A current PCV has developed a great life skills program there and I hope one of us trainees ends up there to continue bettering the facility. Our final stop was another faith-based center for boys with financial stability. A PCV started an awesome low ropes course and token economy. We were all in awe of the work she had done and very intimidated at the same time.

I need to do some self exploration to decide what kind of site I would like to work at for the next two years. My site placement interview is on Monday in which I can voice my preferences. I know I could be effective wherever I end up, but I know I will prevail in certain conditions over others. It will be interesting to see what preferences I express now then evaluate how successful I am down the road. My experience lies in working with CICL and homeless youth 14 to 20 years old. I like to tell myself that I can get by just fine in a rural area but let's face it, I'm a city kid. A rural area would be a adjustment. In reality, my success will be based more so on the work I can achieve versus the environment around me. Without a great center, my surroundings will be irrelevant.

I never thought myself as someone who is very good with younger kids. I lack the imagination and wild spirit. My host sisters have already taught me to laugh more and be cheerful about the little things in life. I am their Ate Leah (ah-tay lay-ah), a formal way for addressing an older sister. Joy (4) and Marienne or MM(10) both keep me busy and on my toes. MM likes to give me a hard time and she sure has wit. No matter what Joy is doing, crying or running in the rain, my heart just melts. Her facial expressions are priceless. Sometimes I can't keep up when they are both trying to talk to me at once, but I love hearing their stories and jokes. Actually, my entire host family is quite the funny bunch. I fit in well with such a sarcastic, light hearted tight-knit group.

In the states I considered myself a vegetarian for quite some time. Partially due to animal rights, but mostly from an overall palatal preference toward other proteins and veg. I told myself this time would come. I said the words over and over but I didn't believe them right away. “I will need to eat meat. Not only for better cultural immersion but a healthful life as well.” I was a bit irked upon my arrival by the concept of eating meat or fish three times a day. Somehow I transitioned. Luckily my host family is incredibly understanding of my preference and see the benefits for not consuming as much meat. Even if my family is eating meat, they will prepare fish for me. They are also starting to integrate more vegetables into the spread. My younger host sisters are not so fond, but I respond with “Mokaon imong sa mga utan!” (eat your vegetables). At least it makes them laugh.

This entry has been a bit jumbled, sorry. Tonight I am having a handful of volunteers over for chips and guacamole and card games. Some of us are trying to plan a snorkeling trip to Apo Island next Sunday, but if that doesn't work out we will run a 5k race. Time for me to go to my weekly individual assessment with my LCF and TCF. Let's hope I can stay another week! Dun dun dun... Just kidding, I'll hopefully be here for the full term. Sige, ayo-ayo!

1 comment:

  1. hi leah! i love reading about your travels. while i am a bit sad we finally just got to know each other this summer, it's really great to read about your adventures. just wanted to say hello & let you know i'm being a creepy stalker :)

    -stacey

    ReplyDelete