This was more of a journaling week to say the least. An emotional rollercoaster that has yet to end. I never thought the city would bring so many trials and confusion. The commute to and from the city is exhausting and bewildering. Ride a trike, then two jeepneys, oh and maybe a boat. I want to know how to navigate this undocumented transportation system. I feel suffocated literally from the exhaust and figuratively from feeling helpless.
Not to say this week has not had its high points. The agency I am working with does incredible work with children, youth, and families. I’m not quite sure where I fit in and how I can possibly help, but I’m enjoying the learning experience along the way. Straight from the airport last Saturday, I observed a regional children’s conference in which youth from my organization were facilitating. It was inspirational to see these wonderful leaders at work. I spent time in the office this week learning more about the policies and programs in place. I also helped educate about Peace Corps at a booth during a national conference for social workers. It was a good chance to do some networking. A slow week in comparison to some of my fellow newly anointed CYF PCVs, but my time will come.
Another transition in the making is with a new host family. After the children’s conference, I arrived at my new home just as Manny Pacquiao won his 9th world title. A party of sorts ensued with all my host father’s co-workers. Despite my pseudo-vegetarian diet here, I did something rather bold. I ate turtle. I was told, “It tastes like chicken.” Indeed it did, a slimier dark colored version although. Not to say I would do it again, but I gave it a go. Otherwise, the home is very nice and the family is accommodating. I just need to give more time for our relationship to grow.
One day at a time. Focus on today, the here and now. Without this daily mental pep talk I might not last long. I’m a planner and so much is out of my control. I need to give this transition time. Just get through today and see what tomorrow brings. I came here with the best of intentions and motivations. The difficult moments are just blurring my purpose. Today I need to do x, y, z and as for tomorrow, I’ll let you know when I get there. Oy! Sige.
No comments:
Post a Comment