Week eleven was consumed by language study and coming to terms with the end of training (I still might not be there yet). I said goodbye to the streets and people that offered up so much to me. I will miss all the people in Bunao looking after me as I stomped through the barangay in the heat, clean streets (in comparison to other cities), and ocean views. The city of gentle people treated me very well.
My final day in Dumaguete was highlighted by a goodbye party for all the host families. Speeches, games, and a fiesta-style lunch brought all the gracious families together to reiterate how thankful we were for their care during the training period. They presented me with a thoughtful gift, which really touched my heart. A rug-type wall hanging in which all the family members wrote and drew pictures of our jokes and experiences together. I was sad to leave them but know they will still be in my life over the next two years.
For the second and final time, I rode the bus to Bacolod winding through the mountainous roads in the early morning hours; another conference, the last as a trainee. The first two days wrapped up our pre-service training with a handful of surveys and sessions on policy. Although long and tedious, I valued every moment I had with my fellow trainees knowing the time was dwindling down all too quickly. All the counterparts arrived the second night to begin planning our two years together. The sessions ranged from developing a five month and two year work plan to comparing results on the Myers Briggs personality test. Each night at the conference was spent with my fellow trainees going bowling or simply enjoying each other’s company in the confines of the hotel. So many laughs were shared and luckily not too many tears. We will see each other again soon, if not at Thanksgiving time then New Years.
The final day in Bacolod closed with the most important event of all, swearing in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. The province of Negros Occidental hosted us at their capitol, adorned with a red carpet and American colors draped off every window and ledge. A drum band and guitar ensemble played over the chatter of us excited to-be volunteers. Government officials, mayors, host families, and Peace Corps staff welcomed us with warm, proud smiles. The US Ambassador to the Philippines gave an inspirational keynote address and swore us in as the 269th batch of Peace Corps Volunteers in the Philippines. It was a proud moment, but still a little hard to believe. I won’t accept my newly adorned title until I get my hands dirty at work. A reception followed with upbeat and energized volunteers bustling about. A bittersweet day full of excitement and some apprehension.
The time has come, I am an official volunteer. After twelve weeks of intensive, fun training and developing close relationships with Filipinos and Americans, it is time to move out on my own. I loved my training experience and was able to share my time with the most supportive, caring cluster mates. I enjoyed living with a life-loving family who took me in as one of their own. I didn’t want that dream world to end, but I know it is time to get some work done. Another transition period of trials and stress, but ultimately this will only make me more resilient in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment