No crisp winter air or mounds of snow to remind me that the joyous Christmas season is here. No traditional Thanksgiving and black Friday marker to kick off the holidays. But there are still many reminders all around, presenting themselves in the stagnant heat of this tropical nation. Recycled plastics and indigenous materials are recreated into Christmas decorations. Paroles hang from ceilings and Christmas trees light up every living room and city square. Malls are bustling with shoppers; Mariah Carey and other ubiquitous holiday music playing overhead. Store windows adorn sale signs and chain restaurants offer Christmas-themed food specials. People excitedly count down the days and enjoy numerous Christmas parties in the meantime. I participated in seven of these celebrations in the past two weeks.
The first two parties were for the sponsor children and their families affiliated with my organization; one party in my barangay and one for two barangays in the city. A couple hundred children, youth, and families gathered at outdoor gymnasiums in local high schools. The gathering in my barangay was slated full with singing and dance performances by children’s and parent’s groups. First, a large company had representatives hand out new t-shirts to about one hundred children. Then, students from a local university had put together shoe boxes with tsinaeles (flip flops), snacks, books, etc. A hectic distribution process but so great for a couple hundred children to receive a present. There was so much joy and enthusiasm throughout the day. The second party was a bit more chaotic, with a lack of song and dance performances put together. I facilitated a child development activity about children’s rights. Needless to say, the attention span of 150 children at a Christmas party was slim to nil. I was reassured the session went very well, even though I felt discouraged. Another shoebox distribution commenced with order and ease. More children prancing to their dilapidated homes with new toys and treats in hand.
Another two parties ensued in my barangay for the SNP (Supervised Neighborhood Play) Programs. Performances, games, and gift exchanges galore along with plenty of food for the eager preschoolers and their mothers. I acted more as on observer during the ceremonies, but their wide smiles and glee were contagious. My fifth work-related party was for the staff and youth facilitators. After a day of planning for a gang intervention/suppression/diversion program, the staff exchanged secret santa gifts. I received a “Leah (heart) Cebu” t-shirt, just what I had asked for, a knockoff on the “I (heart) NY” commodity. We ventured to the IT park area, full of new construction, call centers, restaurants, and parks. We wandered about and played games in an open field before going to a disco to dance. Many hours logged “working” at parties, but such a great opportunity to view cultural practices and build relationships with community members.
With prior consent, but no rehearsing or preparation, I became a co-MC (master of ceremonies) for my host father’s work Christmas party. With over 100 employees and their families in attendance, needless to say I was a bit nervous. My Cebuanglish, as I would like to call it, was hopefully understandable. I stood over five hours on a hot stage presenting activities ranging from a dance competition, macho gay pageant, beer drinking contest, games, and raffles. With a few embarrassing moments under my belt, kiss on the cheek for the drinking contest winner and horrific “inspirational” speech, the night closed with a disco. My host father had cleared out one of their warehouses for the event and set up a sound system and lots of lights, this allowed for more money to be directed toward prizes and bonuses for the employees rather than for renting a venue. The party was a huge success, even if I walked away a bit embarrassed and exhausted.
The seventh party was for the subdivision I am living in. I danced to disco, country, American pop hits, and love ballads with my host mom and at one point led the YMCA. Another fun party full of energetic and happy Filipinos. I am proud to say I attended more Christmas parties this season than in the previous few years. I am fond of my new memories and cultural insight, along with a few new dance moves. Might I dare to say, Christmas is a larger celebration in this Catholic nation than for my fellow countrymen. Two days time will tell.
No surprise you brought your light-hearted, fun, festive- ness to share at many parties, Leah. I think after two years with the Peace Corps, you'll be able to add Professional Talent Judge and Master of Ceremony to your resume!!! Merry Christmas
ReplyDelete