A bustling house loud with laughter and good cheer, Family joined together from all around. Food preparations being made all day along with plenty of sweets in the meantime. Christmas music sounds like an anthem in the background of playing children. This scenario does not sound all that different from traditions at home, but of course there is a Filipino twist.
At the stroke of midnight, the popping of fireworks escalated and lit up the night sky along the horizon. Displays near and far were mesmerizing, and kicked off Christmas in a joyous fashion. A traditional midnight meal, called noche buena, laid upon the table and family gathered close. The food a bit different than the hearty home cooking in America; calamari, sweet spaghetti, breaded fish, pansit, white bread, and fruit salad were among the spread. Extended family and close friends gathered around the table for a prayer then the celebration began. Sharing stories and everyone giddy with Christmas cheer; plenty of laughs for our full bellies.
Christmas morning I woke to the sounds of my cell phone, buzzing with well wishes from fellow PCVs. I turned on a Christmas mix on my computer and proceeded with card and gift opening, as my wonderful family had sent a large package with an assortment of gifts from America. I read through the cards teary eyed; my father sent twenty years worth of picture Christmas cards of my brother and I. It brought back fond memories of Christmas as a child and nostalgia for cool, snowy weather. I opened the gifts swiftly, as there was no waiting to take turns; just me, myself, and I. Some were expected, some surprising. I can say this much is true: I will be less sweaty, highly caffeinated, and have a satisfied sweet tooth for quite some time to come.
merry christmas, leah! xox
ReplyDelete