1.04.2011

so this is the new year

The time lag between Christmas and New Years was stretched long, almost too long. Restless days that never seemed to end highlighted by a short vacation to a beautiful, small island. With a lack of friends and activities that don’t involve spending money in Cebu, I found myself lounging at my host family’s house for five days. A few ventures outside the concrete walls to a decaying park and a restaurant. Otherwise I filled my hours reading, watching TV, eating, sleeping, or chatting with my extended host family. Definitely a good opportunity for bonding, yet not so great for my sanity.

Over New Years I spent three days in Panglao, Bohol with twenty fellow PCVs. Upon arriving at our rented bungalow in the evening, my hungry belly roared for sustenance. After many rounds of hugs from being reunited, the group headed to the touristy beach of Alona. I suddenly felt panicked and claustrophobic from the concentration of so many foreigners in one area; I am not accustomed to seeing many non-nationals except for the all too commonplace retired white men seeking young Filipina girlfriends. Cynical thoughts ran through my mind as I leered around. They don’t know the language or culture, and we (somewhat) do. I was calmed by the wishing waves and laughter of my friends. I don’t like being associated with the tourists, unfortunately when it came to transportation I was royally ripped off all weekend. Despite trying to haggle in Cebuano, the effort was worthless.

Two days were filled by relaxing on the beach together, catching up on Christmas stories and venting about the never-ending acclimation. I ventured out for snorkeling from the shore to see beautiful starfish, coral, and schools of fish swimming about. The new year rang in with a beach party and fireworks. A group of us ventured to the Bohol Bee Farm twice for wonderful organic (familiar) foods in a restaurant overlooking the horizon. A few rainstorms brought cool weather, which was expected for this time of year. Overall, a nice getaway to a beautiful place with close friends.

The long days lounging, and even the time spent in Bohol, gave me an opportunity to reflect and rejuvenate. So much has changed since New Years rolled around last year; I thought I would be moving to sub-Saharan Africa by the start of summer. After months of stress and losing hope, my destination changed and now I’ve been living in the Philippines for 4 ½ months. I started the year working at a youth home run by a well-funded NGO, as well as expanded my capabilities and outreach efforts at a youth resource center. I am now in a third world country, working for a NGO doing incredible community-based youth work, despite a small budget. I keep close with family and friends through the wonders of technology while developing new relationships with Filipinos and fellow volunteers. I still can’t concretely assess how I’ve grown, although I’m sure it will become more apparent in the coming year or after my service. All I can conclude is that 2010 was a big year for change and I cannot complain. I’ve never been one for New Year’s resolutions, as I am goal-oriented year round. Here’s to hoping 2011 brings success in work and more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment