A whirlwind of a couple weeks and no end in sight, but I am loving every minute. New surprises come each day at work and I look forward to the challenge. As stated in a previous entry, I am helping my organization get a youth gang intervention program up and running. The last couple weeks have consisted of organizing and facilitating consultations with community members and stakeholders, as well as a program planning weekend with staff and youth leaders. My supervisor (and everyone at my organization) are incredibly supportive of my ideas for the program and when organizing activities. We collaborate well and keep our dialog open at all times. They are understanding during my moments of frustration and I try to be helpful during theirs.
After our consultations with youth involved in gangs, community members, and stakeholders, it was time for our program development and action planning stage. I planned all the activities for the 3 day retreat, some fun and others more challenging. As an over-planner, I went into the weekend with extra activities that were not needed but better to be prepared then at a loss. The staff, youth leaders, and I headed to a city training center/camp-type facility in the mountains overlooking the city. Lush greenery and the cool misty air relaxed my nerves. Long strategic planning sessions were broken up regularly by games and plenty of laughter. Everyone was challenged differently throughout the weekend but we persevered in our task. I commend all the participants for putting up with so much English and staying engaged. I am continually in awe of the leadership, creativity, and strength of the youth who have fought through adversity and the staff who give so much unconditional care and respect to the youth and myself. My body told me I was tired from facilitating and having fun all weekend but my mind was at ease because it did not feel like work. I look forward to our program to develop and progress, even all the trials that come with it, because I know I am working with such a dedicated, inspiring group of people.
My schedule is picking up and does not show any sign of slowing between work tasks and PC-related trainings. Then again, I do my best work with a full schedule. I still take time to visit with newfound friends and take the occasional weekend getaway. Changes come every day, between work and city life. Some I take with much enthusiasm, whereas with others I need to take time to process.
I move tomorrow. My host family has been incredibly kind and generous, but it was time to be on my own. After searching high and low, I finally found a new place to call home. The offerings in a densely populated city range from high end subdivisions to run down slums and not much in between. The city is also very expensive (by living standards of the Philippines) yet my housing allowance did not vary from my fellow PCVs living more rurally. After many discouraging visits to unsuitable rooms for rent (for safety and hygienic reasons), my regional manager took me to look at a studio-type apartment on her friend’s property. Everything clicked, like it was where I am meant to be. It is located in a safe, beautiful subdivision in a location closer to my office, with Lapu-Lapu still (relatively) easily accessible. The amenities are by no means impressive by first world standards but it is very nice for here. I am so pleased to have found somewhere comfortable where I can seek refuge after a long day in the bustling city. My landlord is a sweet 85 year old retired Biology professor whom reminds me of my late great-grandmother. She has already offered so much to me thus far and I look forward to having her look out for me.
I already have PCV’s booked to stay at Leah’s B&B (nickname for my new place) this coming weekend and look forward to not feeling so isolated. I’ll still commute back to Lapu-Lapu some days for work, but will I prefer to be in a more central location to the office and friends. The six month mark in-country is nearing and it feels like it has gone so quickly. Cheers to being over 1/5 done with service!
So proud of you, Leah! Your new apartment sounds familiar, and I am pretty sure I have spent many nights there :) I hope you enjoy it. Hugs, hugs, hugs!
ReplyDelete