3.15.2011

the new peace corps experience

I find myself caught in a contradiction. The idealist in me admires the traditional Peace Corps experience. The vision I had built in my mind was of isolation and hardship, as well as immersion and cultural exchange. I knew after my placement to sub-Saharan Africa fell through some of my goals for service would also plummet thru the cracks. I battle with myself daily as to whether this new life I lead really equates with the admiration reserved for Peace Corps Volunteers. It’s an ongoing process to accept this modern Peace Corps and be okay with my redefined role in country.


Two years ago when I began the extensive application process I had three different scripted responses I would give to those inquiring about why I am choosing this path. My level of disclosure depended upon whether the listener was a) a close friend or family member, b) a service-minded, culturally competent individual, or c) a non-service minded, materialist. Usually a and b received a similar answer, whereas c received a toned down, broad response or “it will improve my resume.” A and b replied with delight and appreciation, while c skeptics offered little more than an “ok, well good luck with that.”

I was so proud to tell a and b my reasons: immerse myself in another culture, learn a new language, be disconnected from Western culture & clueless to the goings-on at home, live more simply without reliance on modern technology, lend a hand and hopefully some expertise, give two years of my life to a cause greater than myself, and similar derivatives of the above.

When I read “Philippines” on that invitation letter, my heart sunk a little. I did not sign up to live in a tropical, westernized (or seemingly so) nation where English is tossed around regularly. Based on my work experience, I knew an urban settlement would become my future home with amenities just a hop, skip, and a jump away. I felt like my “volunteerism” would lose some of its credibility because I was not “roughing it” in the bush. I did not want to bring a laptop or be bombarded with tardy American popular culture. I briefly considered rejecting this offer; just my stubborn side coming out after my vision of PCV life blurred. After a very brief pity party, a moment of clarity shined through. Who was I to question and judge the culture where I am being asked to serve those in need? My deranged selfishness was no excuse not to promote peace and friendship through grassroots service and cultural exchange.  

With sacrifice (or more so in my case gain of modernity) comes opportunity. What I lost in expecting the “traditional” experience I gained in being able to apply my familiarity in working with youth more directly.  No longer would I need to learn a new “trade,”--the ever so vague community development-- but my HCA could benefit from my skill set and I could more directly apply what I learn to my future youth work. My petty complaints are by far outshined by my opportunity to work with supportive, motivated community mobilizers and collaborate with community members.

Modern technology is not the burden I once thought. Bringing a laptop was a wise choice not only for project development, but for being able to utilize the endless abyss of cyberspace. I research. I connect. My organization uses social networking as a recruiting and communication tool. Email, Dropbox, and other programs are keeping my work up to speed with the developed world.

I may have a Starbucks just around the corner, but that does not necessarily equate with my regular patronage. Amenities at my fingertips are fine and swell in moderation. I still prefer to chika chika in Cebuanglish with co-workers and community members over a bottled coke and pandesal. I work hard to best serve my NGO and foster lasting relationships. Just because the scenery is a bit different then I once envisioned, does not give less meaning to the work I am doing (or so I hope).

After seven months in country & in the second largest city in this archipelago, I find myself living the life of a modern Peace Corps Volunteer. Some days I am accepting, on others I yearn for the isolation of other volunteers, not this concrete polluted and densely populated inhabitance of mine. But, a majority of my days are spent in awe of the incredible NGO I work with and the caring locals I am surrounded by. I’ve learned to laugh more, relax, and value interpersonal relationships more than ever before. With that, I am thankful to this culture.

I am hopeful that my modern volunteerism is viewed with the same vigor and respect as PCVs past. I still immerse. I am still learning a new language. I am still helping. I am still a giver. I am certainly fulfilling many of the goals I set out for myself two years ago. I am (hopefully) living up to the ideals Kennedy set out fifty years ago, just with a 21st century twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment