9 months in the Philippines. 1/3 of the way done with service. 24 years old today.
When I think about service in terms of months accomplished, it doesn’t sound so bad. Then I let my thoughts wander into months remaining and I almost immediately feel blue. My site is great and I live a rather Posh Corps lifestyle, but a long timeline for anything is daunting. What will I do for 18 months? Can I accomplish what my site wants from me in that time? (As long as my workaholic tendency doesn’t cause me to burn out.) Home sounds appealing on rough days but I know life in the States is full of its own ups and downs. It’s hard to measure personal growth while still in this process. It may not be realized until long after I finish service. For now, I savor knowing I am useful to my site. I am continually surrounded by kindness and optimism of Cebuanos.
Today I am 24. “Bata pa,” or still young. I won’t feel any different until I get used to saying “biyente-qwatro” in responding to “pila’y imong edad?” In this culture, usually it is the birthday celebrant that provides for the friends/family/co-workers. I was in the office less than fifteen minutes and a personalized cake was presented to me! I thought I would be the one to sneak out to buy a cake to share later in the day. I am taken care of so well. My 25th year has kicked off with a bang, full of great friends and my Euphrasia “family.”
| Birthday cake from my awesome co-workers! |
you got me at poshcorp
ReplyDeletebig love
-A
http://missangelalfeche.blogspot.com/