(Note: I intended to post this last week and forgot)
I’ve learned that holidays here are spread out much longer than their intended duration, but never did I think over two weeks after the big day I would still be receiving well wishes. Over two weeks in a row full of laughter and utter happiness.
Week before:
Back in April, I sent my parents my list of requested birthday items: facial lotion, razors, odor eaters, tampons, pens, luna bars, almonds, and magazines. Yes people in America, your weekly trip to Target are my birthday gifts. I do have access to many different goods here, but some things are just better from ‘merica. I head down to the unorganized central post office in hopes that both packages are waiting. A man grabs my slip and scampers off into package purgatory and emerges with three packages (one from my aunt as well)!! I take a taxi home for this momentous occasion and proceed to carefully open each package and try not to stab myself with a scissors as I become more excited. Healthy, and not-so healthy, food pours out of the strategically packed boxes (oh, Mom). I jump for joy around my little dorm. My aunt also included a handful of Nike apparel, perfect for my perpetually damp state. It felt like I got a big birthday “hug” from home. I waited until the real day to open cards and a couple other gifts. So much love, and this is just the beginning…
| Desk full of birthday goodies |
Weekend #1 (My “real” birthday):
The night before my birthday I went out to dinner with fellow Cebu-based PCVs Jon and Claire, and well as Filipina Angel. We share plenty of laughs while noshing on vegetarian thai food and beer. Up next, a night a clubbing ensues. Not usually my scene, but I enjoy every minute of it singing along to pop hits and boogying down with my pals.
![]() |
| Angel, me, Jon, & Claire |
My birthday proper I spent time in the office chika chika-ing with my co-workers (See previous entry). That evening I jaunted up to IT Park, the newest part of Cebu with sprawling call centers and restaurants, to meet a handful of girlfriends for a sushi dinner. We giggled over California rolls and edamame. Bethany, so sweet of her, made the grand poobah of all birthday treats: funfetti cupcakes! Angel was perplexed by the colors and world of pre-packaged baking kits. A fun, relaxed night in preparation for what was to come…
Sunday morning Angel and I pack our bags full of swimsuits, sunscreen, snacks and beverages for our stay at Shangri-la! Angel’s French friend owns the dive shop at the resort and set us up with a free room. The resort is actually located just a couple miles from where I lived with my second host family. Such a nice escape for my birthday and farewell before Angel’s move to Doha. The day was full of, “no ways,” “did you see that?” “oh my gosh,” and “I love Shangri-las.” We soaked up plenty of sun and swam around the clear, cool ocean. That evening we went to a restaurant overlooking the water where Angel surprised me with a birthday cake (and singing Filipinos). A few mojitos and room service later, we snuggled into our big, fluffy beds in the air conditioned room.
| Shangri-la Mactan |
![]() |
| Angel and I on the beach |
Much to our surprise, Angel’s friend also set us up to go “discovery diving” in the marine sanctuary that morning. I am not dive certified yet, so it was a nice introduction to the world of diving. A morning full of nemo fish and bright corals. A couple hours of sun soaking later, we were knackered and ready to head home. The extravagant resort treated us well. Unless I marry a rich Japanese or win the lottery, I most likely won’t be staying there again.
| Ready for some divin' |
Weekend #2:
After another work week, I last minute decide to head over to Dumaguete, my favorite getaway place. I arrived in time to help Alana and Jac, recently returned volunteers from being stuck in the US for medical reasons for five months, settle into their new townhouse-type apartment. Two handfuls of other PCVs descended upon Duma that weekend as well. Alana and Jac held a welcome back (for themselves?) potluck. Ten of us caught up on work matters, PCV life, vacations, etc. Never a dull moment when PCVs are together.
In the course of the weekend I was able to roam Duma, eat great food, and catch up with my training-mates. I also made my way over to my old host family’s house. I purposely had the trike driver drop me off at the National Highway so I could retrace my old daily walk during training. Plenty of kind hellos from people I knew and those I didn’t. I visited the host family of Alana and Jac before proceeding to my own. I pounded a rock on the metal gate so someone could come let me in. A new household help came out, looking wearily at me. I tried to explain to her in Cebuano that I once lived there and know the family. Everyone was out of town except my host sister, Maravic who knew I was coming. A text message and yelling host uncle later I was let in. Maravic no sooner returned from the farm and she was off to buy tuna, later I found out was because I appeared to have gotten “skinny” (not true). Anyways, I shared great, healthy meal and a lot of reminiscing with Maravic and her friend. I felt so comforted being in that house again and having that same care from those first three roller coaster months. Some volunteers visit their host families out of obligation, but with this one, I genuinely want to see any of the family members whenever possible.
I’ve spent my birthday is some cool places (England, Guatemala, Fargo?), but this one might just take the hat. People I have known for nine months or less have showered me with unquestioned kindness. My 25th birthday is going be hard to live up to this one.


i lol-ed with the rainbow cupcakes awesomeness...
ReplyDeletehttp://missangelalfeche.blogspot.com/