This time last year I had two goodbye parties completed, packed and repacked, all while trying to wrap my head around what the next two years would entail. I landed in this tropical island nation late at night in a haze and have gained more clarity over the past year. I was right in many respects and surprised by others. It’s hard to put together qualitative anecdotes and experiences into a concise statement or measurable data. I’ve shared enough stories, which may be hard to relate to without being in this position, so here’s some hard numbers for ya:
0-Days in the hospital or major illneses contracted
1/2-New language learned. Conversational & some technical skills, but my grammar is horrible.
3/4-Sustainable program developed (CABRAD, still working out some kinks)
1-Vacation days taken (more to come soon, Seoul & Hong Kong!)
2-Fantastic work counterparts (Mariane and Nestor)
3-Amazing host families (Gapasins, Villars, Fortunatos)
4-Places I’ve lived (Minneapolis, Dumaguete, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu City)
5-Times I’ve been on antibiotics
6-Times I’ve eaten meat (native chicken, turtle, balut)
7-Provinces visited (Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, Bohol, Cebu, Cavite, Metro Manila, Zambales)
8-Amazing clustermates (including my trainer Jufer)
9-Months at Euphrasia
10-Pesos (24 cents), cost of an ice cream cone at McDonalds across the street from work. Only 5 pesos more more for chocolate dipped.
12-Books read (sadly not more)
20-Days of overnight work retreats with my co-workers
24-age on my birthday this year
40-Blog entries
99-Days of Peace Corps-related training (PST, IST, PDM, Warden, PSN, Language Camp, HIV/AIDS Workshop)
151-Times I’ve done yoga
166-Documents/presentations/spreadsheets made for my site
190-Dollar equivalent of what I live off of each month
365-Days with an awkward or embarassing moment
367-Days since I’ve seen friends and family stateside, and missing them dearly.
375-Children and families my site serves
450-gigabites of movies and tv shows to keep me entertained
3,552-Pictures taken
3,654-Views of my blog
10,803-text messages sent, a fairly low number among PCVs
Countless:
-Mosquito bites
-Inquiries about my relationship status…at the start of a conversation with someone I don’t know
-Tropical fruits eaten (mangoes, pineapple, bananas, papaya, rambutan, lanzones, mangosteen, coconut)
-Cockroaches killed
-“Am I really in the Peace Corps?” moments. Beautiful beaches, mountains, people, etc.
-Times I’ve been homesick
-Kind gestures
-Support from home
-Life long friends
No comments:
Post a Comment