11.23.2011

two month review

Over the past two months, I found myself coming to my blog with much to write but few words to articulate the goings-on. Most days are just ‘business as usual’ but these have been the highlights of the past two months (see an upcoming, separate post about visitors):

Dive certification: After putting it off for too many months, I finally decided to get Open Water dive certified. My close Filipino friend Francis is a dive master and after only a couple text messages exchanged, I was ready to start. I completed one of the three days training on my own, reading a textbook and watching a boring DVD. For the first day of hands-on training I was lucky enough to tag along with a group of about 12 divers, some completing their certification and others just out for fun. We dove at a couple marine sanctuaries off Mactan Island and I mastered setting up gear.

The second day was a shore dive and despite the waves, the visibility far below was fantastic. I completed all the water skills with ease and after a required paper test I was finally certified! The Philippines is a biodiversity hot spot and I am now open to a whole new world. Since then, I have gone on one night dive. A little unsettling at first, seeing only by flashlight, but ultimately very cool to see a different variety of creatures at night. I have an itch to dive all the time, if only my wallet could support the hobby more often.


Bacolod for Masskara: In the middle of October I ventured to Bacolod, Negros Occidental for their annual Masskara Festival. The city floods with Filipinos from all over the country to part take in one of the biggest fiestas of the year. The festival came about as a means for farmers to pull through the plummeting price of sugar cane (the primary crop) by holding a ‘festival of smiles.’ The Mardi Gras-like (minus inappropriate nudity) party consumes the city for weekend. Elaborately colored and sequined masks adorn the faces of parade walkers, performers, and observers alike. I did not carry belongings on my person due to increased pick pocketing, but check out some pictures here.

HIV/AIDS Training: Since the Training of Trainers I held in August, I’ve been helping community groups implement their action plans for HIV/AIDS education. For one barangay, I aided the newly trained facilitators in carrying out their action plan, to hold an echo TOT. I provided technical support and suggestions but wanted the members to take ownership of the training for their community. Although the TOT had a few hiccups, it was the first step in educating the motivating community members to make a difference.


Two PCVs and I also co-facilitated a TOT for new Youth Advocates from Dept. of Health. We made our games a little more scandalous than usual to make the youth more comfortable discussing sex and STIs. The enthusiasm is great and I even learned some new facilitation methods. Practice makes perfect. 

Life skills & livelihood for CABRAD: The ever challenging part of my work. After a lack of participants to the computer repair/IT vocational sessions, my counterpart and I decided to place a hold on the sessions. We made home visits to many members, and much to our discouragement, found they were no longer interested in being trained. That, or some members had found short term construction work. It’s hard to argue with someone needing money immediately to cover basic necessities for one’s family. 


With that big pill to swallow, Nestor and I decided to hold life skills sessions for the out-of-school members right in their community. Every Sunday, we gather whoever is around for an activity or two depending how long their attention span allows. Even with the incentive for food and prizes, the participation varies from fifteen one week to four the next. Complacency is my nemesis, consuming any motivation that usually pumps through energetic adolescent veins. I need to stop focusing on numbers and more so on each individual. I may have low participation rates (for a variety of reasons) but hopefully in the next year the program will at least lead one or two members to make positive decisions for a healthy adulthood.  

Mid-Service Training & Medical: The one year mark at Euphrasia came up quick. Days pass slow but weeks go by fast. With such a milestone comes a low point in some volunteer’s service. A mark to define what has (not) been accomplished and what can(not) be done in the following year. For this lull, Peace Corps brings PCvs together for a Mid-Service Training to cover topics such as stress, safety & security, and administrative matters, as well as requested technical sessions. I attended sessions on paper making, alternative livelihoods, and taking the GRE. I facilitated a session on ‘Life Skills for Non-CYF Volunteers’ which received positive reviews from the Education volunteers (woo!). It was the first time all the PCVs from my batch were reunited since IO (now 116 of us), so the training was not all work. We savored each others company and refreshed our spirit to serve.


This time of year also brought the annual medical check-up. I was poked, prodded, and gave all kinds of samples. Let’s hope they all come out A-Okay. I also had the quickest dental cleaning of my life and lost a couple chunks of skin at the dermatologist. Nothing serious, I will be just fine.

Miscellaneous: New site-mate, videoke fun, dressing as MC Hammer for Halloween, overnight trip to Moalboal over All Souls Day, visit to a huge cemetery on All Saints Day, biking around the city at night, Manny Pacquiao fight at a bar overlooking the ocean, and a getaway to a tranquil resort in the mountains.


---


One year of service behind me and another to go. Life here feels a bit more "normal." I'm finally in a groove and less bothered by the emotional ups and downs of PCV life. I don't love everything here, but I'm learning to appreciate more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment