The weeks were counted down, countless emails sent, and giddy
phone calls exchanged in anticipation for my Mom’s visit to the Philippines. As
all those weeks turned into single digit days, I squared away our itinerary and
wrapped up projects at work. I woke early the morning of to get ready, an
attempt to appear less like a Peace Corps grease-ball and get to the airport
in plenty of time. As I waited for my doppelganger to exit from “arrivals,” I
wondered, had over a year really passed since I had seen her last? After a
little searching, we finally met with gleeful smiles and hugs. At first it felt
like I had just been at the Minneapolis airport saying goodbyes. During my time
here, technology has sure made the world smaller but can never quite replicate
a hug or the subtleties of telling eyes and mannerisms.
| My Mom (after 30 hours of travel!!) & I with my supervisor,Mam Cion and co-worker, Marlene |
Before too much mother-daughter bonding could ensue, we had
to meet my supervisor and co-worker at a restaurant in the airport as they were
headed to a conference in Mindanao for the week. They wished to meet the woman
who had allowed her idealistic spawn to go so far from home to help others. We
chit chatted over coffee then ventured into big bad Cebu City.
Over the course of two days, we toured my stomping grounds
via jeepney, tricycle, v-hire, taxi, and a friend’s buggy. Unfortunately I was
not facilitating any activities in those days, but she could still see the
communities I work in and put a picture to the stories I tell.
The urban squalor of a third world city was a stark contrast
to the rural, tropical, postcard-perfect environment that waited for us in
Bohol. We noshed on organic, farm fresh salads while overlooking the powerfully blue sea. We enjoyed the tourist-less, white sand Alona Beach by reading and getting
massages (and a sun burn). After an unfortunate twist in transportation, we
were forced to take a boat back to Cebu and travel the long way to Dumaguete.
Frustrating at first, yet lent a good opportunity to appreciate the beauty of
provincial Cebu out the bus window.
We arrived in Dumaguete in time to stroll the boulevard at
sunset before heading to my first host family’s house for dinner. I was greeted
in typical Gapasin fashion was screams, laughter, tight hugs, and everyone
vying for my attention. We told old jokes over Filipino fare as my Mom observed
in a state of bewilderment and entertainment. I had a great family to take care
of me in my first 3 months here and I could sense her appreciation. The following
day in Dumaguete was rainy but it did not stop us from going around the city
and visiting an activity my fellow PCV Alana was conducting at Little
Children of the Philippines. That night, my mother graciously took three of my
close PCV friends out for an indulgent, delicious meal not usually in the PCV
allowance. It was a great treat for us and for my Mom to absorb more PCV
insights.
After a short 7 days in the Philippines we jetted off to my
second international destination since coming East, Hong Kong. My reaction and
culture shock to HK was more stark than it had been in Seoul. The condensed
city shouted wealth and progress, something rather foreign to me these days.
Despite my initial uneasiness, we wasted no time in getting out to explore
Kowloon. Our two full days in HK went quickly, walking around various parts of
Victoria and Kowloon. We browsed marketplaces selling countless varieties of
fish, flowers, birds, dried fish, and knick knacks. As in past travels, we also
both enjoy just “taking it in” by by observing people and cultural practices. We
stayed near the harbor and were able to see the famous light show (twice) over
the surreal HK skyline.
The second person from home I was able to see, by off chance,
was my uncle Sean from the other side of my family. He was in town for business
the same week and took us out to a fantastic dinner. It was an opportunity
to really share my experience with him. He asked so many great questions and I
feel so lucky to have family that is so invested in learning about my service.
A short meeting albeit meaningful and heartwarming.
Since we were in the “neighborhood” and I have never been to
Vegas, we headed over to Macau for an overnight excursion. We took the various
free shuttles around to the Vegas-mimicked casinos. They were elegant and
immaculate. All that kept flashing through my head were images or malnourished
Filipino children in tattered clothes. I felt conscious-stricken, even without gambling,
just guilty allowing myself to be surrounded by such extravagance. At least I
was cognizant to this rather than living in an obscured reality. We also wandered
around the old part of Macau, the area still holding remnants of the Portuguese
occupation. Turning a corner was like entering a teleporter and ending up in a
western European village. Cobblestone streets, old churches and picturesque
storefronts tricked me to believe I was in Bruges or Avignon again. An
unexpected perk of the trip.
A boat back to Hong Kong then flight to Manila brought our
trip to a close. It went fast and slow at the same time. Plenty of quality
time spent with my mother yet the time until I see her again will feel long. I
was spoiled by her visit but needed to get back to reality and the reason I am
overseas in the first place.
A few weeks later, my good friend from high school came to
visit since he was working in Singapore for two months. Jake arrived early on a
Saturday, just in time to a observe an HIV/AIDS Training of Trainers I was
helping facilitate. He made the trek to Mactan and into my work community of
Pajac. He observed patiently from a corner of the hot, cramped classroom.
There were snags in the activity but it was important to authentically share my real Peace
Corps experience with someone else. He was also able to attend one of my CABRAD
life skills sessions and reinforced that my job is tough and I’m not just
simply getting hard-headed. His visit to my activities validated what I am
doing and made me realize I have made some progress, even if it has been small.
We were also able to go around to the (few) historical sites in Cebu and a
couple beaches. It was gratifying to share my
experience more tangibly and catch up.
My most recent visitor came as happenstance. My best friend
Kelly’s father Tom was in Manila for work at the same time I was there for the
Mid-Service Training. I met him in the economic epicenter of the Philippines,
Makati, for lunch. We chit chatted over Pad Thai about the goings on at home
and I gave a snapshot of my life here. Always great to see a familiar face and
share old stories.
I am incredibly fortunate again to have my two best friends
Kelly & Katie coming to the Philippines over Christmas and New Years. It
will not be a cheap trip to get over here but I am looking forward to it more
than anything. It’s been so long and although we have taken different life
paths, we will be able to reconnect and have fun.
Thanksgiving came and went again this year with only viral
reminders of this beloved holiday. I am truly thankful for all the support from
friends and family abroad and how lucky I have been to see many familiar
faces this year. So many family and friends have sacrificed for me this year
and I hope my service continues to inspire them.
No comments:
Post a Comment