It is still a little hard to admit, not defeat, but success.
2011 started with a fresh, innovative project idea and ended with positive
reviews. I rarely give myself credit for accomplishments, rather I tend to
focus on the pitfalls or try to “one-up” myself. Acceptance has been my foe in
2011, but I’m learning to be thankful for the recognition and appreciate the
progress that has been made.
In the past year, my project ideas and methods were welcomed with
open arms by my coworkers and community members. An idealist foreigner in new
circumstances and culture. At times I was frustrated with cultural differences, yet I
don’t doubt they have equal sentiments about my cultural nuances. We strove to communicate to one another in a second language with a common purpose. We shared and
adjusted for one another and I am grateful to them. It’s been an effort on
both ends to build our strong relationships proving we are mightifully accepting, not
just tolerating, each others culture.
The CABRAD project idea sparked during a
discussion about how to help the “gangsters” in one of our
barangays. We decided a multi-faceted approch was needed to develop the youth
personally and intellectually, as well as change the attitude of citizens and
community leaders. I accepted the
challenge, not without reservation, but with a glimmer of hope for
transitioning a fearful community and stigmatized youth into living
harmoniously. Thus the CABRAD program was formed and conducted over the past
year. The program is not fully realized but certianly on its way there.
Community development is not for the faint of heart. If
good intentions & money let alone remedied social ills, these inequalities
would cease to exist. Communities need "movers" to bring citizens from awareness
of priorities to taking an active role in change. The Filipinos I work with
tirelessly do just that. Community leaders and volunteers provided training and
support for the program and members by means of life skills &
vocational training sessions, peer mentorship, and community advocacy.
There have been countless bumps in the road: tardiness,
cancelled sessions, a shortage of funding and resources, disinterest, and a lack of
motivation. But, this should not be the focus. Instead, a needed program
was developed, started, and still continuing. This past month, my staff and I
conducted mid-point program assessments with the high school principal,
mentors, parents, children, and the youth themselves. To our astonishment, the
high school reported less fighting, stealing, tardiness, absences, and
recruitment in the school. The mentors observed more motivation from the CABRAD
members. Parents and children in the communnity reported the members are more
helpful to their families, focused on work & education, and engaging in
less deviant behavior. Although not all the program goals and objectives have
been met, we are on our way there. With this, I remind myself not to be
disillusioned by the trials and realize it is so much bigger than myself.
I can offer myself a pat on the back however I reserve
applause and adoration for my co-workers, community volunteers, and the CABRAD
members themselves. It is difficult to facilitate change and even more
challenging [for the youth] to accept it. Their hearts have warmed to their
families and their minds are focused on developing skills needed for
transitioning into adulthood. This is just the beginning, a substantial start
to making a difference.
The start of 2012 has been positive, with acceptance
not as a submission to circumstance but feeling contended & proud of myself
and the wonderful Filipinos I am surrounded by.
PS. A post about my
holiday reunion with my two best friends is forthcoming.
No comments:
Post a Comment