8.20.2012

my second year in numbers

Today marks my second anniversary in the Philippines. It is a holiday weekend here but I write this while recovering from a super-powered stomach flu. This morning I looked back at my journal entries from the start of service and had to chuckle at a few things. I'm a little less idealistic these days and service didn't necessarily bring what I anticipated. It has been a journey, that's for certain. I follow the ebb and flow of work and the rest of the time try to learn, cope, and enjoy. 

Once again, my year in numbers:

0- tropical illnesses contracted (I'm sure I will get my turn with amoebas, worms, or dengue at some point)

1/2- language spoken. Not fluent in Cebuano and English vocabulary is steadily declining

1- earthquake experienced (while diving underwater)

2- out of country trips (Seoul & Hong Kong/Macau)

3- Catholic weddings attended

4- times on antibiotics

5- high schools implementing the CABRAD program

7- visitors from the states (Mom, Jake, Kelly, Katie, Aunt Terrie, Brother, and Dad)

10- pesos (~26 cents) for my daily dose of pineapple from a fruit vendor friend

12- blog entries

20- books read

21- months serving at Euphrasia

22- scuba dives (I'm PADI Advanced Open Water Certified now!)

25- age on my birthday this year

32- total months I will serve after opting to extend five months, until April 2013

35- vacation days taken

60- years my host tita & tito have been married

78- degress F when I felt the need to put on a sweatshirt 

80- hours of facilitator's trainings I conducted (HIV/AIDS, life skills, PDM)

85- percent humidity most days

330- dollars I live off per month (150 of which goes toward rent/utilities)

365- days of adaptation and growth

3345- photos taken

5321- blog page views

Countless:

mosquito bite infections & scars

ants consumed

gallons of sweat

times I've been hollered at by children & men

cups of instant (who am I?) coffee drank

dinner conversations with PCVs about bowel movements

movies & television shows watched

crabs, fish, shimp, & other sea creatures (i.e. eel, stingray, squid) consumed 

"Only in the Philippines" uttered

hours spent traveling on jeepneys, buses, & tricycles

moments of frustration & admiration for this country

times missing Minnesota, friends, and family

The motivated, caring staff, interns, & volunteers I spend my days with


No comments:

Post a Comment