8.29.2010

balut!

Even though I am posting this at the same time as the previous, I feel it deserves it's own listing. Despite my terror when presented with a roasted pig yesterday, I ate a delicacy I had hoped to avoid in the course of 27 months in the Philippines. After long contemplation and peer pressure from my host uncle, I ate balut. If you do not know what this is, it is a fertilized egg with a partially grown fetus. It was difficult to swallow but I have bragging rights amongst the PCTs as one of the first (or the first) to try balut! Luckily it was only 16 days along as opposed to 18 or 20 so no feathers or big bones just yet. Whew.

Anyways, today I went to my family's farm/compound. There is a Protestant church on-site which serves the (poor) people in the area. My family is very generous to others. Although I did not get a chance to jump in, the farm has a pool! Hopefully I can bring the other volunteers out there with me for relaxation Sundays.

Dinner time. Rice and dried fish here I come!

Sige babay! (ok bye bye)

1 comment:

  1. Leah- glad to hear things are going ok for you! I'm glad that we can follow you on your adventure thru this blog. Take care!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete