8.19.2010

time to depart

After a year and a half of anticipation the time has finally come; I'm off to the Philippines. My final week included a night out in Uptown, friends visiting from Fargo, two going away parties, and final dinners with family and friends. I am so incredibly lucky to have such supportive friends and family as I embark on this adventure. I couldn't manage without their support.

My feelings are mixed at this point. It is all so surreal. I am sitting in the lobby of the hotel in Detroit. I can see so many new faces in the distance and know we are all here for a common purpose. It won't become real until I step off the plane, or possibly not until orientation is over. All I know is I have gut wrenching excitement, anxiety, and thrill. I know there is a lot of good work to be done and keep telling myself not to back down. This is my calling for now, everything else will fall into place.

I depart from Detroit tomorrow (Friday) afternoon for the 19 hours flight to Manilla. We will get in late Saturday night and head to a resort for 5 days of orientation in-country before moving in with our host families for PST (pre-service training).

I need to wind down after an accumulated lack of sleep. For now, farewell America. Life here is wonderful but there is so much out there to accomplish. Bon voyage to me and the other volunteers.  

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you Leah :) I love you, and I can't wait to read this blog as you tell about your travels!

    ReplyDelete