Maayong gabi-i (good evening),
I finally feel like I'm in the Peace Corps. I moved in with my host family in a barangay (neighborhood) just a few kilometers outside Dumaguete City. There are four other volunteers in my barangay in which I will do my language training with Monday thru Saturday mornings. There are 4 other CYF volunteers in the barangay next to mine which I will complete technical training with in the afternoons on these days.
I met my host family upon arrival and headed to their house for the rest of Friday. I was impressed with my accommodations even though I had not requested such. In America these living conditions may not be considered upper class, but from my observation their home, yard, multiple cars, and lifestyle would reflect a comfortable family for the Philippines. This may be due to working adults in the home and communal living. I am staying in a bedroom on the upper level of the home, which gets very warm during the day. My home also has Wifi, so I am typing this blog on the balcony next to the router. Even if Wifi was not here, there are many internet cafes in the city.
I live in a home with about ten people. My TLF is a friend of the family and told me they were well off. My host mother and father are retired, a home economics teacher and school superintendent subsequently. Two of their daughters live at home working as teachers at an elementary school and University, with another daughter who goes to school in Atlanta, GA. There are three daughters in the home, each the kin of my host parent's daughters. They are beautiful, fun four, seven, and eighteen year olds. There are also two live-in nanny's as well as two teenage boys the family has had living with them for a couple years. This is quite common for the Philippines; many people cannot believe Americans do all the house work themselves. I explained that in America it is very expensive to hire household help whereas here it is most affordable. Oh, and I cannot forget our five dogs (only one is house trained, the others are for protection) and many chickens. The family operates a mango farm about one hour outside of Dumaguete City where the boys and other family member help out at. I will be going with the family there tomorrow for relaxation Sunday (complete with a swimming pool).
The family is so sweet and kind. They have all been so accommodating and helpful in making my adjustment smooth. Most everyone in the home speaks English very well, or at least understands what I'm saying. This is their first time hosting a Peace Corps volunteer, but I already feel as though I'm part of the family. My host mother is now a caterer so her food is very good. My first lunch included a yellow curry, fried fish, and (of course) white rice.
Dumaguete City is a relatively modern, university-filled city. The people are very kind and close knit. I went to an elaborate parade celebrating Sulliman University's Founders Day. The people had so much pride in their university and what it represents in the city. After, My host sister and I walked around town. I took my first pedi-bike/tricyle ride. Think of a Honda motorcycle with a side car attached. Dumaguete has the largest number of motorcycles of any other Philippine city. The roads are narrow so you can imagine the congestion and aggressive driving.
Last night I was taken to a fiesta for the celebrating Saint Augustine. I knew I would encounter this at some point, but I didn't anticipate this to happen the first day. As with all other fiestas in the Philippines, the meal was focused around an entire roasted pig! It was just sitting there starring at me. My eyes began to well with tears as I was stressed about how to turn down the expensive and celebrated star of the dinner. Sections were placed on my plate, but I successfully avoided eating them without much confrontation. I am just known as a “picky” eater by my host family now. Their saying is, “Americans eat three times a day, Filipinos eat six.” At least now they know I would prefer to eat mostly fish, vegetables, and fruit.
Some of the problems I anticipated would happen over the next few months occurred within my first day. Ranging from endless mosquito bites, ants everywhere, beg bugs, salamanders in my room, digestive issues, and toilet/showering problems. Guess I will become more resilient. I shouldn't complain, my cluster mates are already calling my a princess for my host home.
Today I shared pictures of Minnesota and Starbursts with my host family. Filipinos sure love sweets. I'm not sure what our plan is for the rest of today, but I will continue getting to know them...and continue to sweat nonstop.
This is real. I'm finally doing it. I'm scared out of my wits, but can't wait for all the challenges and experiences to come.
Ayo-Ayo!
No comments:
Post a Comment