The best word to describe the last week is intense. Staging in Detroit, initial orientation (IO) lectures and seminars, jet lag, and meeting new friends. I wrote this blog post last night, but unfortunately it was deleted before I posted it. Hopefully this one will cover the same material adequately.
Staging (a brief introduction to the PC) in Detroit went smoothly. Our flight overseas left two and a alf hours late which left us with enough time go go through security in Nagoya, Japan and hop back on the plane. I am usually not affected by jet lag, but the last couple days have been a struggle overcoming nausea and fatigue. Upon arrival in the Philippines we were taken by bus to our resort. As some volunteers are calling it, we are in the “posh” corps. There is an odd stratification between our vacation resort (fitted with bars, a water park, a zoo, etc.) and the slums outside the gate. This is a great transition period, but I look forward to entering the “real” Philippines on Friday.
My days are filled with large group lectures (144 trainees plus countless PC staff and facilitators), seminars with our sector groups (I am CYF: Children, Youth, and Families), large buffet meals, and quality time with so many new friends. I can't discern whether we've grown closer because of our common interests (as we all joined the PC), or if we formed instant bonds due to the anxiety and excitement of this new stage.
Today was a break from the routine as we went to what as some volunteers call it “the worst beach in the Philippines,” for water safety training. We spent about five minutes training and a few hours relaxing and socializing. It was a nice break from the stressful (and sometimes boring) lectures. I also ventured to a mall with fellow volunteers. My first jeepney ride was fun, but the mall was as predicted. Similar stores to the US, just different scents wafting from the food court.
Today we had a suspenseful presentation leading up to finding out our site placements. Our placements were announced individually by region and sector. I was the last CYF individual to get called up. It's official. I am moving and training in Dumaguete in Negros Oriental. Google it. Everyone else is pretty jealous of us. That sounds a bit conceited but it is a beautiful area, especially for diving. Everyone will still have amazing experiences no matter where they are. My cluster (training group) is awesome and our facilitators are hilarious. It is going to be an incredible, challenging next eleven weeks.
It will be sad to leave many of the new friends I've made so far, but I am excited for the process to begin. For now I am going to enjoy my final night in the luxurious paradise of IO.
No comments:
Post a Comment